1. For those who don’t know you, how would you describe yourself?
Calamari Catch King!
2. How did you get involved in Wrestling?
When I was quite young through a mutual friend of the Hunter Brothers. I started out with them going to every show I could and had my first formal training from them, Brandon Thomas and the Clarkeward twins.
3. Any tips for any up and coming wrestlers?
Find a good school that isn’t just out to exploit you for profit and actually cares about developing you. Listen to everything, watch a lot of wrestling..
4. At the start of 2013 you wrestled for CZW over in America, how was your experience over at CZW and do you think you will be back over there again this year?
It was a great and daunting experience. When I first found out about independent wrestling in around 2005 it was because of things like CZW’s “Fake You TV” on The Wrestling Channel so to be able to say I’ve wrestled there is a privilege for me. Not sure about this year but I’d love to go back at some point.
5. Recently you have formed a team with Jonathan Gresham called the Calamari Catch Kings, how did the formation of the team come about, what was the highlight of your initial run as a tag team together and finally do you think that you and Jon will be rechallenging for the WXW titles again in the near distant future?
Jon and I first met through Fight Club: PRO in 2011 and immediately clicked to the point where before I knew it he was making temporary residence in my house for weeks on end. We just shared a mutual appreciation of a lot of the same things in wrestling and he became a mentor to me. He’s been such an influence I can’t really sum it up in a few lines but he had the idea of us making a go as a team and it hit off straight away. I think we have a natural chemistry with each other which translates well in the ring. The initial run was a ton of fun we were just doing everything we could to get the team out there and it resulted in a fair few rough nights and ropey journeys. Challenging for the wXw Tag Team titles was an honour and to get the chance to do it again would be wonderful.
6. Also recently you made your debut for PCW participating in the 30 Man Royal Rumble, how did it feel to be put into this match as one of the few spots that were not taken up by PCW regulars and do you think you will be back in PCW again soon?
I’d love to be, but it’s not down to me. They have such a great, professional set up there and it was a terrific production to be a part of.
7. What are your main goals and ambitions for 2014 (which countries you want to visit, who you want to face etc.)?
I’d like to continue visiting Germany for wXw and wherever else the opportunity arises. I’d definitely like to see a lot more of Europe this year with Jon by my side. In terms of who I’d like to face I’d love to have more encounters with Hot N’ Spicy, Big Van Walter, Tyler Bate, The Dunnes, The Hunters, et al. I’d love the chance to wrestle Zack Sabre Jr. whilst he’s in between NOAH tours and as they’ve recently debuted for Fight Club I think a CCK/Sumerian Death Squad match would be a treat.
8. What do you think of the current state of British Wrestling?
I don’t think I am really in a position to critique it but there definitely seems to be a much larger number of successful promotions all over right now than I’ve seen before. The Midlands area especially I think is stronger than ever. I just hope it continues.
9. Have you got a message for the readers who may have not known who you are before reading this interview and the readers that have been there for a while or since the beginning?
If you have no idea who I am but read this far thanks! I hope it wasn’t too tedious. To the people that ever have or do support me thanks for having faith in some twonk from Tipton doing what he loves.
10. Finally where can the fans find yourself and merchandise, have you got any dates you wish to plug and how can promoters get in contact with you for booking info?
You can head over to calamaricatch.bigcartel.com to buy Jon and I’s DVD’s and shirts. I’m on twitter @OBEYBrookes and can be reached for bookings at email@example.com
If you wanna come see me roll around in velvet pants this month you can catch me at; Pro Wrestling Kingdom 16/5 B’ham Great Bear Promotions 17/5 Sandbach ATTACK! 24/5 Cardiff Kamikaze Pro 25/5 B’ham Shropshire Wrestling 28/5 Dawley Triple X Wrestling 1/6 Coventry Fight Club: PRO 13/6 Wolverhampton
Please go and support Chris at the links above if you could as you would be supporting one of the best wrestlers in Europe today.
Follow the blog via Facebook and Twitter :
and @SamGBWR (Personal) and @BritWresRevival (blog)
Also as always please go and follow the people who keep this blog going my affiliates by using the dropdown menu under Our Affiliates