1. Welcome to TheBritishWrestlingRevival, first of all please introduce yourself to the readers and give them a quick summary of yourself as a wrestler???
Hello, my name is Steve Wilson and I am the person behind the paint, the man behind the MONSTA, Kongo Kong. Kong is a monster savage with above average intelligence and ability. Hailing from “the deepest, darkest jungle,” maybe this jungle isn’t found in any country or continent; maybe just in your mind.
2. Lets talk about your growing up, did you enjoy watching wrestling growing up or did it start much later and if so, who inspired you to think I am going to become a Wrestler??
My mom used to take me to shows at the local arena, featuring Jake Roberts, The Road Warriors and a few others. My dad tells me that I’ve wanted to be Hulk Hogan since the age of 5. Watching guys like Hogan, Savage, Muraco, Demolition, Vader, Warrior and the Undertaker played into my decision to be a wrestler. The other part was my sheer love for the physicality of wrestling. I even wrestled through high school, hoping it would be something like pro wrestling… and everything is what you make it!
3. How did you get involved with Wrestling training, who trained you, how was this experience and if you could have been trained by any one else or even do a seminar with dead or alive who would it be and why ??
I actually walked into a video game store and spotted a poster for a local independent show and followed up with the store clerk who happened to be an announcer for the show. I checked out the show, went to practice and 2 weeks later had my first match. Not ready, by any means at that point, but soon went to another guy, Joe Ortega and finished out my training in Holland, Michigan and that was just over 17 years ago.
With Bam Bam Bigelow, BIG Van Vader and Yokozuna being the best big men in history, I would have to say that they are the ones, from which, I’d want to learn more about the business. 4. You are currently the #1 Contender to Nick Aldis/Magnus’ GFW Global Title, do you have any words for him for your future match and is wrestling for a newly formed title against so many good competitors make you excited for the future??
I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what the future is for GFW and Kongo Kong. Magnus is a worthy competitor and atop the GFW mountain for a reason but he won’t stay there too long with the locker room being as stacked as it is.
The opportunity to help build a company from the ground up is just the thing a guy like me needs. A guy who has been told no, you don’t fit in here, you’re too this, you’re too that, you deserve a break, but not here. The idea of being a Global Force original has potential to be the ultimate “I told you so”.
5. You were IWA Mid-South Heavyweight champion for just over a year I believe, do you want to regain the title towards the tail end of this year/2016 and have you got any words for the current champion ??
Winning, defending and keeping the IWA-MS World title was probably one of the toughest things in wrestling I’ve had to do. The combination of having great matches with tough competition along with helping build new faces there was a challenge week in, week out. There is so much untapped talent that needs to be seen in that locker room. I found myself in more 25+ minute matches than I had in my 17 years career. The friendships built along with the leadership skills I have learned there were so worth it.
I think when the time is right, I’ll get my title back and will be back up for another tough run as champion.
6. I read that you are capable of things I’ve never seen a giant wrestler do and that you are reminiscent of Rikishi, how would you react to these comments and do you think that this makes you better than the average larger wrestler who just does the usual moves that you associate with them ??
It’s an honor to be reminiscent of Rikishi, One Man Gang or any of the guys I have been compared to. To know that people think I could have wrestled along side them is amazing.
Ironically , I’ve been told that I do too much in the ring and that I really need to be the typical big man wrestler. My retort is if I do the same things as every other big man, what sets me apart? To say I’m better than anyone, I think, would send a bad message out about me. And sure, secretly, I prefer my own brand, but I know there are plenty of good big guys out there. I think I just offer something different. That’s the advice I give to young ones who want to get to the next level… be different!
7. Of course the name of this blog is TheBritishWrestlingRevival, would you consider coming over to the UK if given the chance in the future and if so have you got anyone in mind that you would want to face??
Both the UK(Europe, really) and Japan are on my list of places I want to wrestle before I’m done. So yes, if there are any promoters, bookers or anyone who could help me get either of these places crossed off
I don’t have any specific international dream matches, but am interested in seeing what others think.
8. What are your future ambitions in Wrestling and where do you see yourself in 5 years time??
Hopefully, in 5 years time, I am on top of a major company, using my dream to take care of my family as well as putting me in a position to create ways to help the less fortunate. People looked out for me and I want to pay that forward.
9. Where can the readers find Kongo Kong and where can promoters book you??
I’m on facebook under Steve Wilson, or Kongo Kong. I’m on Twitter @realKongoKong and my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org if the old fashion way works for you.
10. Have you got any future dates or projects you wish to plug??
I’m currently in Newfoundland, Canada doing a mini tour. I will be returning to Chicago for AAW on November 28, then to Crossfire wrestling in Niagara Falls, Ontario and Destiny World Wrestling in Mississauga, Ontario on December 5th and 6th.
I’m looking forward to traveling abroad, meeting and entertaining the fans of professional wrestling all over the world.
Thanks to Kongo/Steve for taking part in this interview and taking time out of his schedule to complete these as fast as he did, as a thank you please go and support him on social media and there will be more like this coming up only way to find out when they are out is by going to :
Twitter : @BritWresRevival
Instagram : @BritWresRevivalBlog
And as always go and support our affiliates by using the dropdown!