1. Welcome to TheBritishWrestlingRevival Blog Anthony, cheers for your time, first of all please introduce yourself to the readers and give them an overview of your career so far??
Thank you for having me! My name is Anthony Bowens, I’m a professional wrestler out of WrestlePro in New Jersey, trained out of the Create-A-Pro dojo by Pat Buck.
2. Did you enjoy watching wrestling growing up and if so who would you say were your heroes growing up and would you say they inspired you even further to become a wrestler??
This first person I gravitated to is Sting. I saw the vignettes for the Starcade match between him and Hogan and I was immediately hooked. As I got a little older I was very into Jeff Hardy. I was always very shy as a kid, so seeing how fearless he was in the ring inspired me. As time went on I began to appreciate people like Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, HBK, etc.
3. You were trained by Dan Maff and Pat Buck as far as I am aware, how did you get involved in training with Dan and Pat and was their training really tough??
Pat Buck is my main trainer but I’ve had additional help from guys like Maff, former WWE star Curt Hawkins, Mario Bokara, and the new Heavenly Bodies. Pat’s training is incredible and very diverse. Of course we are taught the basics but we are given a wide variety of styles that we train for to make sure we are as well rounded as possible as performers. The training itself is definitely not easy…we have a lot of fun but there are also some very tough days where we all have to really push ourselves to get through the drills.
4. You have had a open tryout at the Arnold Classic for NXT, been on Breaking Ground and been a rosebud in the past for WWE, how were each of these experiences, how was it working with the staff over in WWE/NXT and is one of your goals in future to make it onto NXT for example??
Anytime I’m able to do something with WWE/NXT it’s an incredible learning experience. I’ve actually had two tryouts…the first was at the Arnold Classic. I did well enough there that they invited me back to a more extensive one at the WWE Performance Center last September which is the one that can be seen on the 2nd episode of Breaking Ground. Having the opportunity to work with guys like Coach Bloom, Coach Regal, Coach Brookside, etc was amazing. I was only there 3 days and I felt like I came out there a better performer. I can only imagine how it would be if I were there full time. So yes my goal is to be in NXT sometime soon. After the tryout I was told to work on one specific thing, which I’m currently in the process of doing and fans will be able to see the results of that as time goes on. I’m confident I’ll make it back down there some time soon.
5. You and Dan Maff (your trainer) are facing off for a second time in WrestlePro with the first one being called physical and brutal, would you describe it as that for anyone who has not seen the match and are you looking forward to the rematch??
Yes that match was probably one of the most physical matches I’ve ever been apart of. Maff hits and he hits HARD! But of course I gave it right back. As far as this Saturday, yes I’m looking forward to it. It’s just another opportunity to prove that I can hang with high level guys like Maff. If you haven’t seen it, well here’s the link!
6. You wrestle quite a bit for Pro Wrestling Syndicate including being in a lot of matches for the Suicidal Six Way Title, do you like unique concepts such as the title aforementioned and what are your thoughts on Pro Wrestling Syndicate as a promotion and the great talent they bring in such as yourself??
Well to start, I have absolutely no affiliation with PWS anymore…I’m a WrestlePro guy. As far as WrestlePro goes, our shows have something for just about everyone. Whether that be technical wrestling, hardcore, comedy, high-flying which usually comes in the 6-way matches, top indy names, and former WWE/TNA guys. We have it all. For more information on WrestlePro you can check out the website at www.wrestleproonline.com.
7. You have been over here to wrestle in February and are coming back in July, do you enjoy the UK as a country and what do you make of the talent over here and promotions compared to the States??
My experience in the UK was incredible. I love the culture and the people. To be honest they are much nicer over there than they are here in the NYC area which was a nice change. I was very happy with the talent the UK has and I actually had one of my favorite matches of my career while I was over there against Alan Lee Travis. Everything that night went just about perfect and the crowd was LOUD from start to finish.
8.What would you say are your future ambitions in Wrestling and where do you see yourself in 5 years time??
I honestly see myself in NXT, I came very close to being there already and I’m going to make sure that any future opportunity I have I’m going to kick the door down to get there. Outside of that I’d love to travel the world which I’m just starting to do. Germany and Japan are definitely other places I’d love to get to.
9. As the interview draws to a close, where can the readers find Anthony Bowens on social media and how can promoters get in contact with you about potential bookings??
You guys can find me on Twitter and Instagram at @Bowens_Official. I’ll be on my second UK tour from July 23rd – August 14th and still have some open dates which I’d love to fill. So UK promoters, if you are interested, feel free to message me on facebook, I’m very easy to find. Or you can e-mail me directly at AnthonyMBowens@gmail.com.
10. Finally have you got any future dates/projects you wish to plug and do you have a message for the readers??
For anyone who is reading this from the USA, come check me out at WrestlePro this Saturday April 16th in Union, NJ, Saturday April 23rd in Brooklyn, NY, and Saturday April 30th in Rahway, NJ. For the fans in the UK, as stated above I’ll be over there in July doing the holiday camps in Wales, a few shows in England, and potentially working on something for Ireland. I’ll have more information on that soon, so make sure to follow me on the social media provided and I’ll make sure to keep everyone updated. Thank you guys for reading, thank you for the support, and I hope to see everyone at a upcoming show!
Thanks to Anthony for taking part in this interview and taking time out of his schedule to complete these, as a thank you please go and support him on social media and buy something from his shop if possible, I bought a signed Burial photo myself last night! There will be more like this coming up only way to find out when they are out is by going to :
Twitter : @BritWresRevival
And as always go and support our affiliates by using the dropdown!