1. Welcome to TheBritishWrestlingRevival Blog cheers for taking time out to answer these questions, first of all please could you give a brief introduction to the readers about yourself and your wrestling career so far??
I am a certified G and a…. that’s not it. I am the best in the world at what I….. that’s not it either. I am Cheech, The New Wave in Professional Wrestling aka The All Natural Disaster aka 3rd Degree Black Belt in Awesome or whatever jumps into my head show days. I’m American indy guy whose been lucky enough to wrestle all over known probably for my runs in bigger indies like ROH, Chikara, CZW AIW etc.
2. Let’s speak briefly about growing up for you, did you watch wrestling growing up or was it later on in life and who would you say inspired you both in wrestling and out of it to become one??
3. Speaking of becoming a wrestler, how did you get involved in wrestling training, who had a hand in this and would you say that you enjoyed the experience??
I got involved in a sort of a wacky way. Along time ago when I was a young kid I had seen ECW wrestler Tony DeVito in my local Wal Mart and always kept it in the back of my head that a real wrestler lived somewhere near my town. Fast forward to the beginning of ROH, me and my best friend would travel to the shows and see DeVito now in the Carnage Crew and Xavier as the first champion. I read on the net that Xavier was trained by DeVito and figured that Xavier being somewhat new the wrestling scene he had to be trained somewhat recent. Next ROH I approached DeVito asked if he had a school and he just so happened to reopening it. We traded info and the rest is history. The school ended up being like 2 miles from my house, it was great. As far as enjoying it goes, ABSOLUTELY. Some people have horror stories of training and their trainers, not me. DeVito was and is amazing to me, we are like kindred spirits. I can’t say enough good things about him, I couldn’t have asked for any better.
4. You recently lost the AIW Tag Team Titles to Tyson Dux and Tracy Williams, are you and Colin going to be going after the titles again now you’ve lost them and would you say for those who have not seen you live that you and Colin really gel as a team??
Me and Colin are definitely coming for our belts. Infinity and Beyond and Hot Sauce Entertainment are now tied at 2 a piece. We beat them twice and they beat us twice and the poor belts just keep getting passed back and fourth. But come Absolution we settle the score when one team beats another not once, we’ve done that plenty, no no the winning team must win twice, 2/3 falls July AIW biggest show of the year. And for gelling, how could we not. We have been friends forever and have wrestled each other a ton. It always takes time to gel but with us it just easier cause our history with one another.
5. Recently you returned to Chikara for the first time since 2011 albeit it was a Rumble appearance but was it good to be back and would you like to return on a more permanent basis if given the opportunity to do so??
For Chikara it was great to visit and see some old faces I have missed. As far as more opportunity, maybe but not really. Ideally I’d like to be able to poke my head in from time to time.
6. Going back to you and Colin, in 2CW you faced The Bullet Club on as far as i’m aware their last ever show as a promotion, how was it to be on that final show and to face a team such as the Bullet Club who are so popular at the minute??
2CWs final show was amazing for what it was, an awesome uniquely 2CW send off for 2CW. The Bullet Club was awesome, they are popular for a reason. Some say they are the best and I agree. Me and Colin have wrestled them before and were excited to show we could go toe to toe with the best. Getting to do it on the final 2CW show and having no restrictions was icing on the cake and something we couldn’t not be excited for, go buy the DVD theres dives off basketball hoops, Meltzer drivers, unbreakable tables etc.
7. Of course the blog is called TheBritishWrestlingRevival, you have previously been over here wrestling for All Star and IPW:UK about 6 years ago, looking back what are your thoughts on your time over here and do you want to return in future if so who do you have your eye on facing??
My time in England was awesome. All in all it was about a month and it was an invaluable experience. Right off the rip was 9 days in a row which is a statement many can’t make nor will make much in the future. Your learn a lot wrestling guys you have never met for lengthy times day in and day out. All Star is what I called my finishing school, it was alot matches and with plenty of time to really sink in and wrestle. Tag matches meant getting a mean look and ribbing if you didn’t go 20 minutes. In America we rarely got such match times. And All Star is a style unto itself, in All Star I was the villain from America and it felt very vaudeville and theatrical as I would rile up the crowds. Luckily my long run in 2CW was as a heel so by the time I got to All Star I was prepared for the hatred and would bathe in it and that theatrical part was my favourite part. And then I got to wrestle for IPW UK were it was more like American indies with great wrestling and great shows. Obviously I would love to come back. As far as facing guys, id just like to face the same guys again like Ligero, Deano, Mastiff, Zack Sabre Jr, Marty Scurll, Jonny Storm etc just now years later and years better.
8. What are your future ambitions and where do you see yourself in roughly 5 years time??
In 5 years, I hopefully same lifestyle of wrestling as much as a I can, just hopefully in a bigger form at a higher standard
9. Where can the readers find/follow ‘The New Wave of Professional Wrestling’ Cheech on social media and how can promoters get hold of you for potential bookings??
Best to get ahold of me @NewWaveCheech on twitter, promotions and promoters need to get on the Direct Message train but for email its NewWaveCheech@gmail.com
10. Finally have you got any future dates and/or projects you wish to plug to the readers??
For future dates follow my Twitter but coming up I got ESW AIW also see me at other great places like Alpha 1, UPW, C4 etc.
Thanks to Cheech for taking part in this interview and taking time out of his schedule to complete these, as a thank you please go and support him on social media! There will be more like this coming up only way to find out when they are out is by going to :
Twitter : @BritWresRevival
And as always go and support our affiliates by using the dropdown!