1. Welcome to TheBritishWrestlingRevival Blog Chris thank you very much for agreeing to take part in this interview, first of all could you please introduce yourself to the readers??
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. My name is Chris LeRusso and I’m from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I’ve been a professional wrestler for over 10 years. In addition to that, I’m also a licensed attorney (I believe “solicitor” or “barrister” is the term in the Queen’s English) and have been practicing for close to 5 years. I suppose you can say I never know when to keep my mouth shut but generally get paid well in spite of it.
2. Let’s first of all talk about growing up for you, did you watch wrestling growing up and if so who inspired you at the time to train to become a wrestler??
I’ve been a wrestling fan all my life. Growing up, my father would watch WWF Superstars with me after Saturday morning cartoons. From those early days I was hooked. As a child I loved the Ultimate Warrior but it wasn’t until I discovered ECW and Rob Van Dam that I found the true inspiration to begin training. I also drew inspiration from many local independent wrestlers who seemed more real, more relatable to me. When I turned 17, I began training with Ken Downs who owned a local wrestling school. The rest was history.
3. Next of all let’s speak about training for you, what are your thoughts on your training experience, who trained you and what advice would you give the readers if they are just getting into wrestling training??
Training for me was harsh. Ken was old school, the training took place in a barn in central Pennsylvania, the ring was practically held together by duct tape. However, Ken taught me the most important aspect of our sport; Respect. I continued my training with seminars and classes at the ROH dojo and the world famous Monster Factory and learned so much from both facilities. I continue to do so and continue to improve. My advice? Do not get discouraged. This sport is not easy, it is not something to be mastered overnight, and it will challenge you, body and soul. But each day that you train, each time you go to the gym, each time you hit the ring, you get 1% better. And overtime, that 1% adds up.
4.You are the current IWC Super Indy Champion defeating Façade to gain that, how did it feel to win it and how was it working with Shane Douglas a few weeks ago at Reloaded 3.0??
The IWC super Indy title was a major career highlight for me. If you look at that title’s lineage; it contains some amazing names in our sport. Colt Cabana, DJZ, Elias Samson from NXT, Christopher Daniels, Corey Graves, and even the phenomenal Aj Styles are former super indy champions. It is an honor and privilege to carry that legacy forward.
And as far as Shane douglas goes, words cannot describe how respected Shane in, especially in Pittsburgh. Throughout his whole career, the city has rallied behind him. Pittsburgh has a great history of world champions; Bruno sammartino, Shane, and of course Kurt Angle. To stand across the ring from him was another career highlight.
5. You are part of Ring of Honor’s Top Prospect Tournament for this year, how did this opportunity come about and are you looking forward to showing the ROH fans what you can do in the coming weeks as part of it??
The Top Prospects Tournament caught me somewhat by surprise to be totally honest. I had been knocking on ROH’s door for sometime and had opportunities here and there, but hadn’t quite got my foot in door yet. I recalled a piece of advice given to me by Nigel McGuinness, who I had the pleasure to travel with on a few occasions. “Don’t worry about what “they” want. Make yourself as good as you can possibly be. The opportunities will be there.” And so I spent most of 2016 doing just that…and it appears to have paid off. While it is an honor, no pun intended, to make it into the field; I don’t intend this to be a one off appearance for me. The fates willing; you’ll see a lot more of Chris LeRusso in the coming months.
6. Speaking of Ring of Honor around a year ago you were given the chance to be part of a ROH Tag Title Gauntlet for #1 Contendership, how was this experience and did you and Joey Daddiego team previously or were you thrown together by ROH management??
That was certainly an interesting experience. I knew Joey for sometime and had even roomed with him in Vegas once which could be a whole separate interview worth of stories, mind you. But Truth Martini was looking for new members of the HOT and you take any opportunity when it presents himself.
7. What are your future ambitions in wrestling and where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time??
Truth be told, I didn’t see myself here 6 months ago, so prophecy is not my strong suit. My ambitions is to continue to prove people wrong. Whether it is continued success at IWC, a lengthy run at ROH, international travel, or wrestling on the biggest stage of them all…whatever people tell me I cannot do; I’ll make every effort to prove them wrong. After all, I call myself the heir apparent so I must think there’s a throne and a crown somewhere in my future.
8. Of course the blog is called TheBritishWrestlingRevival, would you ever come over to the UK if given the chance and if so who would you have your eye on facing??
My knowledge of British wrestling is in it’s infancy but I cannot help but be awestruck with the scene across the pond. Rev Pro and Progress both have given me jaw dropping reactions to their shows and I’m looking forward to this rebirth of World of Sport. I would jump at the opportunity to do a tour of the U.K. It might be cliche to say so, but Will Ospray is someone who I would love to share the ring with. Then again, the winner of the Top Prospects Tournament gets an ROH tv title shots; a title currently held by a certain British “Villain”
9. Where can the readers follow your progress on social media and where can promoters book you for shows if they are reading this??
@chrislerusso on both twitter and instagram. Chris LeRusso on Facebook. Social media is honestly the easiest way to get a hold of me, so DM or Facebook message me if you’d like to see the Heir Apparent in your hometown worldwide.
10. Do you have any future dates or projects that you want to plug to end the interview off??
While you should obviously follow the ROH Top Prospects Tournament closely; Keep your eyes on the International Wrestling Cartel (iwcwrestling.com) as there are a number of big shows coming up, including our yearly super Indy tournament this summer. Follow me on twitter for updates and show dates. And keep support professional wrestling from the big leagues to your local independents.
I hope you enjoyed this interview and I would like to thank Chris for answering the questions for you to read, please go and support him on social media if possible!
If you want to support BWR as well as Anthony go and follow us on Twitter : @BritWresRevival
and also like us on Facebook :https://www.facebook.com/BritishWrestlingRevival/