1. Welcome to TheBritishWrestlingRevival Blog John thank you very much for agreeing to take part in this interview, first of all could you please introduce yourself to the readers??
I am “The Southern Savior” John Skyler, world-traveled professional wrestler, been all over TV sets across the world, so if wrestling fans don’t know me already, they are living under a rock.
2. Let’s first of all talk about growing up for you, did you watch wrestling growing up and if so who inspired you at the time to train to become a wrestler??
I grew up a huge wrestling fan as a kid. As a kid I loved, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Mr. Perfect, Eddie Guerrero, and Steve Austin. I ended up training to wrestle at 20 years old. But if anything inspired me to be a wrestler it was Shawn Michaels winning the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania 12 in the Ironman Match. I remember watching the training videos leading up to the match, and thought it was so cool that Shawn would talk about being 12 years old and wanting to be a pro wrestler and that always stuck with me.
3. Next of all let’s speak about training for you, what are your thoughts on your training experience, who trained you and if you could train with anyone dead or alive who would it be and why??
Training was kind of a breeze for me because I wanted it, I wanted to be in the ring. I initially started training with a guy named Bob Keller in South Carolina. Then I became polished by training and travelling with guys like Lodi, Chris Hamrick, Rock N Roll Express, Steve Corino, Jack Victory, CW Anderson, Joey Mercury, Luke Gallows, and countless other coaches. That’s where you really learn is on the road. Its on the job training. Guys need reps, do the job over and over and over again.
4. You are part of the ROH Top Prospect Tournament and have just got through the first round defeating Sean Carr, how did you getting into the tournament come about and would you say that this tournament will open doors for you ??
I initially heard rumblings about me being the tournament late last year, and then I got the official word back in January. ROH still reaches a lot of homes, and a lot of people of power from other companies have their eyes on ROH. So, I think this opportunity is bound to open up more opportunities for me, whether it be in ROH, Japan, or anywhere else for that matter. I am ecstatic to be apart of the tournament, and I look to show the World why I belong in ROH.
5. In about a months time you are facing Cody Rhodes at Ode to Tradition for PWX, are you looking forward to taking on Cody and do you have any words for him ahead of your match??
Working with Cody is something I have wanted since I got word he left WWE. Cody is a great talent. He was born into this business and has worked for everything he’s gotten. PWX has made a lot of noise as of late, Cody has made a lot of noise as of late, and I think what people are forgetting is I, John Skyler, have made a lot of noise as of late. The World will be watching this match, so your damn right I’m looking forward to it. And if I had to tell Cody anything, no matter how much I respect him, his family, and what he stands for. I am going to show him that he made a huge mistake leaving me off his “list”. In fact, I have my own personal list…..and Cody has been on it for awhile. And my list, is much more dangerous.
6. You recently took on the Hardys at the Omega Bowl teaming with CW Anderson, how was it taking on the Hardy’s and also teaming with CW??
Getting the opportunity to work with the Hardys was a dream come true. They paved the way for guys like me and countless others to make a name for ourselves in the Carolinas. CW falls under the same category, I have had the opportunity to team and learn from CW for over a year now, and it has been an amazing experience. I really enjoyed the match, and look forward to doing round 2…who knows, maybe it’ll happen in Ring of Honor?
7. What are your future ambitions in wrestling and where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time??
5 years time, who knows. A lot of factors come into play. I definitely see myself sticking around for many more years. I am hoping to be wrestling somewhere full time on tv somewhere in the next five years. So, that would imply a full time contract somewhere. I have put in the time over the last 9 years, and I have had close to 1,000 matches….so my time is approaching quickly.
8. Of course the blog is called TheBritishWrestlingRevival, would you ever come over to the UK if given the chance and if so who would you have your eye on facing??
Well actually, I have wrestled all over the UK, I did two summer tours with Brian Dixon’s All-Star Wrestling and have had the chance to work with the likes of Marty Scurll, James Mason, Pete Dunne, Nathan Cruz, Sam Gradwell, CJ Banks, Rampage Brown, Tony Spitfire, Dave Mastiff, Tyson T-Bone, Frankie Sloan, Zack Gibson, The Hooligans, I can go on and on honestly. As far as guys I want to face from Britain in the near future. I recently stepped in the ring with Zack Sabre Jr. for the first time, and I rank it as one of my top 5 favorite matches I have ever had. So I would definitely love a re-match. Im a big fan of Martin Stone, and haven’t had the chance yet to step in the ring with him. Will Osprey is great. Also would love to work with Mark Andrews, Mark Haskins, and Tyler Bates. All incredible talents.
9. Where can the readers follow the progress of ‘The Southern Savior’ John Skyler on social media and where can promoters book you for shows if they are reading this??
Fans can like my Facebook Fanpage, “The Southern Savior” John Skyler, or they can follow me on twitter and instagram @TheJohnSkyler, promoters can send me a private message or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org in regards to bookings….I have a valid passport and love to travel!
10. Do you have any future dates or projects that you want to plug to end the interview off??
Thanks for the time, I encourage folks to continue following my career. I’ll be wrestling Cody coming up soon for PWX, which is doing some great stuff right now. And continue watching me on Ring of Honor, because as The Top Prospect Tournament comes to a close, no matter the outcome, I am excited about my future with Ring of Honor! Continue watching other promotions as well, because literally the last 10-12 months have been a whirlwind for me, and you never really know where I will pop up next!
I hope you enjoyed this interview and I would like to thank John for answering the questions for you to read, please go and support him on social media if possible!
If you want to support BWR as well as John go and follow us on Twitter : @BritWresRevival
and also like us on Facebook :https://www.facebook.com/BritishWrestlingRevival/