1. Welcome to TheBritishWrestlingRevival Blog Áron, thank you very much for agreeing to take part in this interview, first of all could you please introduce yourself to the readers??
Thank you very much for having me! My name is Áron Kiss (yes it’s my real name) aka Icarus from Budapest, Hungary. I’m one of the founders and media director of Hungarian Championship Wrestling (HCW). Pro wrestling was a big thing in Hungary till the 40s but the nazi and communist regime banned it from the country. Because of this the world got so many famous hungarian wrestlers like Zoltan Boscik, Tibor Szakács, Lou Thesz, etc. We decided in 2010 to rebuild the hungarian wrestling scene again.
2. Let’s first of all talk about growing up for you, did you watch wrestling growing up and if so who inspired you at the time to train to become a wrestler??
I started to watch wrestling with my tag partner Dover when we were around 12 years old. I was totally amazed by The Rock, Triple H, Kurt Angle back then but I always knew that i’m not gonna be a big heavyweight so I had to look after a more legit role model for myself so I ended up at Jeff Hardy, Rob Van Dam, AJ Styles, Matt Cross and on and on. They’re clearly influenced my style of wrestling.
(Icarus taking on one of the wrestlers who inspired him growing up ‘M-Dogg’ Matt Cross)
3. Next of all let’s speak about training for you, what are your thoughts on your training experience, who trained you and if you could train with anyone dead or alive who would it be and why??
It was a hard thing since there was no pro wrestling training here in Hungary. We learnt most of the basics from DVDs and other footage, then Gabriel Angelfyre arrived from Holland and he showed us everything in a proper way. Then everything started to work out. I’ve had sessions with Sami Zayn, Nigel McGuinness, Gangrel, Joe E Legend, Tengkwa, Paul Tracey. I consider Aleister Black (Tommy End) as my headtrainer. I travelled almost every month in the Netherlands for 2 years to train with him and also to gain experiences on shows. He showed us the direction perfectly and gave really honest and straight feedback. I couldn’t have wished for better
(Icarus with Sami Zayn/El Generico of WWE fame as discussed above)
4. You are from Hungary of course, what are your thoughts on the scene over there and are you proud to represent Hungarian Wrestling when you go abroad to countries like Italy and Romania??
The scene here is getting bigger and bigger. My home promotion HCW is the only official and legit pro wrestling organisation and I’m proud of every brick in this amazing product. It keeps getting better day by day. Yes, I am proud that there is a Hungarian flag in this business again.
5. Speaking of Hungary you team with Dover as The Arrows of Hungary, how did you two form as a team and you faced off against Dave Mastiff and El Ligero recently how was that experience??
We grew up together, we train together, we travel together, we built HCW together. We’re two different guys but still more than brothers. The Arrows of Hungary basically always existed. It was lovely to work with the Origin Banter Edition. I’ve met El Ligero in Italy once and everything went good so HCW could make this match happen. One of my favs for sure.
(Icarus with Dover his tag team partner as the Arrows of Hungary and him and Dover with BWR alumni’s ‘The Bastard’ Dave Mastiff and ‘The Mexican Sensation’ El Ligero)
6. You are part of the HOPE Wrestling Kings of Flight Tournament next month, is this your first time over here and if so are you looking forward to it and do you have a message to the fans who have never seen you who are coming along and the other wrestlers part of the tournament ??
Yes this will be my debut in the UK and I can’t wait. This means so much to me and I can promise that I will show my love and respect in that ring with my unique Hungarian style. This Arrow will reach everyone! Thank you for the opportunity!
(Icarus is coming to HOPE Wrestling to make his UK debut as part of their Kings of Flight Tournament)
7. Going back to the theme of countries you have visited the likes of Italy, Germany, Romania recently, are there any countries you want to visit next and which one has been the best one so far and why??
I work nowadays most of the time at GWF Germany and I love it. They really feel it and almost my second home now. If you have time check their product. I also love Belgium Eurostars, Rising Sun Italy and now Czech started his own stuff. Thank God I’ve been in many countries now but the travel and learning process will never end.
8. What are your future ambitions in wrestling and where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time??
I really want to make a name for myself in the UK. That’s the number one priority now. Then Japan and the US. I love the way of learning this business and getting always new impacts from different people and places.
9. Where can the readers follow the progress of Icarus on social media and where can promoters book you for shows if they are reading this??
Facebook: @icarusaaron or @icaruswrestler
10. Do you have any future dates or projects that you want to plug to end the interview off??
I hope I’ll be in the UK more from now and see you in the rows. Also if you have time check out the hcwhungary YouTube channel or the HCWpankráció Facebook page. Cheers and stay safe!
I hope you enjoyed this interview and I would like to thank Áron for answering the questions for you to read, please go and support him on social media if possible!
If you want to support BWR as well as Áron go and follow us on Twitter : @BritWresRevival
and also like us on Facebook :https://www.facebook.com/BritishWrestlingRevival/